Aging comes with a decline in mental and physical strength. You cannot handle tasks with the same speed or efficiency you previously had. In some cases, you do not remember to do basic things such as cooking or taking a shower. If you are approaching your senior years, you can look into home care options such as Mom’s Home Care in Marina Del Rey. You can also request for senior care services if your elderly parent or relative needs care, companionship, and support with personal tasks, house cleaning, appointment scheduling, and medication reminders.
Types of Homecare Services
Homecare services offered at Mom’s home care in Marina Del Rey differ depending on the needs of each person. The personal wishes and the tasks the person can manage also determine the type and extent of care that they need. You can either opt for in-residence care at a senior’s home or support while you are at your home. Regardless of the option you choose, you can benefit from one or more of the following services:
Seniors require more medication as they age to control ailments that arise due to age. These medications can be overwhelming to keep track of, especially if your loved one suffers from other conditions such as dementia or Alzheimer’s.
The elderly are likely to forget to take medication or refill a prescription. At times, they may also take a higher or lower dosage than is prescribed. The signs that your loved one needs help with his or her medication include:
- Medication left over when there should not be any
- Your loved one finishes medication sooner than he or she should
- Some symptoms that were previously under control begin to worsen
- He or she cannot remember when he or she last took the medication
- He or she has problems understanding the prescription instructions
Medication reminders are designed depending on the needs of your loved one. They are easy to understand, use, and monitor. In some cases, we call your loved one to remind them to take their medication. If your loved one chooses to spend time at his or her own home, we design DIY reminders to help you supervise how your loved one is taking the medication.
Living in a clean home is important in preventing infections, accidents, and for peace of mind. However, it becomes hectic to maintain a clean home as your loved one advances in age. They also tire easily and have difficulties in handling time-consuming and strenuous tasks.
Mom’s Home Care offers seniors with housekeeping services that include:
- Maintenance (especially in the kitchen and bathrooms)
- Pet care
- Trash run services
- Bedroom care such as removing obstacles from the path, cleaning and changing bed linen
Housekeeping duties could take up the bulk of your loved one's time, but with professional help, your senior loved one can enjoy his or her old age in a home where he or she feels comfortable.
As you age, getting items off your to-do list becomes challenging. It becomes harder to accomplish smaller tasks such as shopping, driving, and moving a lot. If you are the primary caregiver of your elderly loved one, you might already be handling these tasks. However, with your own to-do list and other activities and commitments, you may find it hard to accomplish everything. It is easy to sacrifice an important part of your life to meet most of your obligations.
In such a case, you need the help of home care services to care for your elderly family member. Some of the errands professional caregivers can handle on your behalf include:
- Shopping for groceries, furniture, or clothing
- Taking or picking clothes from the tailor or dry cleaners
- Returning merchandise
- Dropping gifts
- Car maintenance
These services enable your loved one to remain control of the activities he or she needs to do by delegating to the senior care service providers.
Personal Care Services
Your loved one might need help with bathing, dressing, grooming, and toileting care. These tasks are personal and close to most elders, and they may not take it kindly if you try helping them. Therefore, you must involve him or her in the decision-making process. Make sure that they are comfortable and understand that the help they are getting is an expression of your love and care for him or her.
Personal care services include:
- Bathing services, which aim at helping your loved one with showers, optimizing the bathing environment and encouraging hygiene tasks such as brushing teeth. Bathing care might also include adding safety features to make the process safer.
- Dressing and grooming become harder as one gets old. However, with the help of a trained caregiver, your loved one will get assistance with dressing, makeup, toe and nail care, hair care, and shaving.
- Toilet care, which involves creating an ideal environment in the bathroom by installing grip rails, raising the toilet seat to a comfortable position, making tissue paper and water available within reach. Your caregiver will also provide incontinence care.
At Mom’s Homecare in Marina Del Rey, we appreciate the feelings of shame, embarrassment, and helplessness that surround seeking help professional care and toileting. As such, we provide these services with positivity and respect to protect your loved one’s dignity.
Meal planning and preparation can be tiresome for seniors, leading to the consumption of junk food with little or no nutritional value. When a senior fails to consume healthy meals, they may develop malnutrition or worsening of preexisting medical conditions.
Mom’s Homecare assists seniors in Marina Del Rey with meal planning and preparation to ensure that your loved one is getting all the nutrients that he or she needs.
Some of the services we provide with meal preparation include:
- Planning meals that incorporate variety, the tastes, and preferences of your loved one and medication and treatment needs
- Providing a dinner companion to keep your loved one company, which also helps with the psychological issues that contribute to malnutrition. Eating alone can lead to reduced appetite or a lower desire to cook.
- Grocery shopping to ensure that your loved one has access to healthy and nutritious ingredients at all times
Most seniors manage well enough with regular support. However, others may need 24/7 care and monitoring due to health issues or disabilities. Mom’s Home Care in Marina Del Rey offers professional live-in care for seniors. We assign your loved one to a trained caregiver to help him or her with daily activities such as personal care, chores, mobility, companionship, reminders, and scheduling different appointments.
Live-in care services are tailored to the specific needs of your loved one to ensure that he or she enjoys his or her senior years. For example, your loved one might be capable of handling most chores but needs overnight care due to medical emergencies. You can arrange with us to have a caregiver available during the night.
The elderly are at an increased risk of loneliness. Their physical limitations, retirement, and separation from most social activities increase the likelihood of developing loneliness, which is a contributing factor to the development and advancement of Alzheimer’s and depression. Mom’s Home Care offers companionship to the elderly by providing:
- A caregiver with whom your loved one can share stories and experiences
- A person to spend time shopping, playing, eating out or watching movies with your loved one
- A person to drive your loved for important meetings and appointments
Companionship care is crucial to the physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing of your loved one. It offers him or her several benefits, including:
- Your loved one feels like a part in society
- He or she can engage in hobbies
- Increased movement, which prevents loss of motor function
- Companionship care keeps your loved one mentally engaged and creative reducing the risk of cognitive decline
If your loved one is in hospital, you might find it hard to sit with them all day or as much as you would love to. A hospital sitter stays with your loved one while you attend to other activities and loved ones who need your attention. Hospital sitters communicate with your loved one doctors, and nurses to report progress and to keep your loved one engaged. They also notify the medical staff when needed.
Hospital sitters also implement doctor’s recommendations on caring for your loved one to facilitate recovery and comfort. Other services they provide include:
- Companionship and entertainment
- Running errands
- Keeping your loved one comfortable by feeding and through personal care
- Preventing self-harm in patients with mental instabilities or suicidal thoughts
Hospital sitters have special training that equips them with compassion, first aid skills, and the patience to handle different personalities across patients.
Getting Assistance for Your Loved One
Placing your parents in an assisted care facility can be hard for you and your loved ones. Such situations are filled with conflicting emotions for all the parties involved. However, sometimes, assisted care is the best option. Here are some signs you should consider home care:
- The care needs of your loved one continue to increase due to the decline in their physical and mental capabilities
- Your loved one neglects self-care activities including personal grooming
- Frequent injuries and accidents
- Unexplained weight loss
- Depression and decreased energy
- Expired groceries
- Deteriorating health
- The home is unsafe for the senior
- Your loved one has neglected his or her financial responsibilities
- Anger and aggression
- Risky driving behavior and unexplained marks, dents or scratches on his or her car
Choosing the Best Senior Care Provider
Choosing a senior home for your elderly loved one can be challenging. You will be inclined to find one that meets all your expectations and provides the maximum comfort for your loved one. While you may have to sacrifice some expectations, here are some elements that you should never compromise:
- Experience: always choose a facility that has experience in caring for seniors. The care provided should be of high quality and should incorporate the needs, preferences, and goals of your loved one. Ensure that the provider you choose is trained, licensed, and has the required credentials. You might need to interview various caregivers before settling on the best one. If your loved one is capable of making a decision, involve him or her in the interviewing process.
- Empathy: some unprofessional caregivers tend to display disrespect towards seniors. Ensure that the caregivers your choose are kind, compassionate, professional, and empathetic. They should display a desire to help the elderly with understanding and patience. Sympathetic and kind care is key to the wellbeing of your loved one.
- Professionalism: the caregiver you choose should display professionalism in his or her work. He or she should arrive on time and the scheduled day. In addition, he or she should be organized and capable of communicating promptly with your loved one. He or she should not disappear without communicating for prolonged periods.
- Affordability: the cost of senior care services varies depending on the provider and the type of services you need. You should choose a service that you can afford without compromising on quality. In some cases, you may ask whether the senior is covered by insurance or had some funds set aside for use in their sunset years.
- Reputation: choose a senior care home with a good reputation and positive reviews from past clients. If others have had a positive experience with them, then they must be providing high-quality services. You could also ask your friends and family for recommendations in case they have used senior homes before.
Find a Home Care Provider Near Me
Home care services for your senior loved one are integral to making your loved one's life easier and manageable. With the help, companionship, and services offered by trained caregivers, your loved one can enjoy his or her sunset years with a sense of dignity surrounded by love. Home care services save you the struggle, guilt, and frustration arising from the desire to care for your senior loved ones while managing other responsibilities. If your loved one needs help with house care, personal care, medication reminders, or overnight care, call Mom's Home Care. We are one of the professional and compassionate senior caregivers in Marina Del Rey. Get in touch with us today at 323-244-4789.